What does being open really mean/encompass??

Hamilton Paranormal: Hamilton Paranormal: What does being open really mean/encompass??

By NovRaine on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 02:06 pm:

hiya..
...i was thinking about the "frightened" factor: i began encountering unusual occurances when i was very you...3 or 4yrs...and YES! i was scared a LOT! heehee...then knowing things i didn't think i should, scared me!
..even when i was 25 or so, and knew more about these encounters...i could get pretty spooked...more so when i investigated a sound, only to find out it wasn't of our world!!...then came the goosebumps!
...a few years later, as my knowleged grew...it wasn't as frightening, in fact it's quite comforting now.
...but there is always a little room for being "spooked"!! heehee
Cheers!

By Cathy Brady on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 12:39 pm:

Sorry everyone....we had to move a few threads out to the main floor instead of within another thread. Hope no one gets confused now. :)

Tia..yes I do remember a couple of times at the beginning where I was startled. I can't say that I was ever really frightened though. I'd see something unfamiliar or unexpected and it would startle me a bit. But I never stopped what I was doing long enough to be scared.

The one experience that really comes to mind on this one was a big meet we held last year. We took everyone out to the BGT. We must have had about 30 people. Well of course with a group that large you tend to break up into smaller groups in order to sense anything.

We had an older couple with us (Charlie and Sharon) that I went looking for towards the end of the evening. I didn't see them in the tunnel as I was passing through, so I was heading out to see if they'd stepped outside the tunnel. As I was walking I had my tiny pen light flashlight facing the boardwalk about 6 feet ahead of me. To my left, along the tunnel wall I saw a dark shape of a man, who appeared to be about 6' tall. It startled me because no one else had started out of the tunnel when I did. But I kept walking and watching. The man always stayed right at the outter edges of my flashlight beam. As I approached the end of the tunnel I turned off the flashlight figuring I'd see the man exit the tunnel ahead of me. But to my surprise, when I left the tunnel I found absolutely no one there. (Charlie and Sharon, it turns out, had left about an hour earlier.)

Chris...you little stinker. Always one to throw in a monkey wrench eh?! A mean rabbit in the dark?? Hmmm...wonder who could have told you about that one!!! *L* As for not of this time or not of this world...I'll leave that one to your imagination.

NovRaine...I can honestly say that I've always believed there is life after death. That the spirit world is here among us. But it was only a few years ago that we began our "investigations" into the paranormal. I feel that I have gained a great deal of experiences and knowledge because of this. I can sense more now than I could before which I find fascinating.

By NovRaine on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 11:57 am:

hiya!
...WOW! what great responses! :) i wanted to start the new thread, because we tell people so much to be more "open", or things will occur as they "open up" to it etc. i wondered what the perspectives were on it.

..i agree and do the same as you've all mentioned, although we are all "open" as children, the things we are taught/the environment we grow up in...i think that too, is where we accumulate fear and are told what "can't" be real. if we're lucky...we find ourselves back on track before we have to move to our next journey...some never find it :(

...i've noticed with people around me/family/friends that the biggest block other than fear, seems to be not only surrounding oneself with negativity, but filling ourselves with it. once they dropped some of their baggage and the negative people around them...they began noticing things (they call 'coincidence') and the more positive they became/become...the more messages they seem to receive!!

...i think initially...when we're young...it's an involuntary kind of thing...but as we grow older, it's a path we follow with purpose :)
...cool everyone! and thanks.
Cheers!

By Chris on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 11:51 am:

I think it is fear that is blocking their senses sometimes. They jump at the slightest rustle and sometimes an animal like a really mean rabbit (in the dark). If we go in afraid or apprehensive, we will miss all sorts of things.

You know the stuff we've seen Cathy.

P.S. I have one question. Is it just not of this time or is possibly..............Not of this world? LOL

By Tia on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 11:26 am:

I believe the media has had alot to do with putting fear into peoples minds. You look at some of the movies and to the person who has not experienced anything paranormal it can be down right frightening. Not to mention the preconceived ideas it can cause the mind to come up with. I think alot go out looking for what they see on tv. They are not open to allowing their natural ability come to the surface. Just like Chris mentioned about going into the field with an open mind. The first step is an open mind.
Cathy do you ever remember being startled or scared at the start. Do you remember the start of it all. Is it possible a person's nature would come into play here.

By Cathy Brady on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 11:12 am:

Very good points from all. From my experience, being open means letting things happen as they may and try to decipher the what's and why's of it later.

I sometimes get impressions of things happening around me that don't seem to be from this time. But others around me are also experiencing something quite similar. When we discuss it later we end up filling in some of the blanks for each other. It's quite fascinating to say the least.

I am not afraid of anything "paranormal", which makes it easier for me, I think. We've been out with some that are terrified and jump at the first unusual sound. And these same people often tell us that they can't "sense" anything around them. Could it be their fear is blocking the senses to anything not of this realm?

By Tia on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 10:10 am:

I guess I would have to add that for some people, they may need to believe before they will see...
Some things to me seem normal, what is normal though, for me it's anything that I am used to and it is not different. Things usually occur when I'm not really thinking about anything. The only thing lately I have noticed is that I am seeing orbs. Believe me I had my eyes checked to make sure it was not a vision problem. The eye doctor and regular doctor couldn't give me any answers. When I see it I just say hi, passing through are we. Then it's gone. I've also seen it circle people I'm talking to. Who is it, I don't know, do I understand it, no. There is no fear of this new thing so that leads me to believe a step up has happened. Do I accept it, yes. I think you really have to accept these gifts as I call them before you can build on them. I don't believe I'm at a point where I would be able to use any gifts as I don't truly understand them yet myself. Am I babbling...sorry. What you send out will come back, either it will be good or it's gonna bite you on your kazoo. You just need to decide whether you'll learn from the lessons or not. My thoughts work faster than my fingers, so before I start to not make sense...

By Chris on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 08:13 am:

First I think that you have to believe that there are things paranormal. I have reconcilled that with my belifef system.

Second I think that you have to be clear of negative thoughts. I use meditation to clear my mind before I go into the field or around the house. I tend to get very clear images in my mind or a little voice in my head that tells me what is going on at a particular place. I have always wondered what it was until I got involved in this.

"If you undrstand, things are just as they are. If you don't understand, things are just as they are." ZEN

I go into the field with an open mind and often just get images or feelings.

By NovRaine on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 07:45 am:

hiya all:
..i just thought i'd add a thread because i know we are all always throwing around words to explain and describe to each other, various aspects of being "intune" or "open" to the paranormal/spiritual.

..i combine the two phrases, because i've found that being spiritual creates an "open" doorway for connection to the paranormal!

...what does "open" mean to you?? is it an involuntary thing? do you have to consciously (spelling!) work on it?? is it a given??

...would love to hear your thoughts :)
Cheers!