Albion Falls
Hamilton, Ontario Canada



For centuries the elements have been hard at work carving out the bowl of Albion Falls. The falls eminate over a limestone ledge that is reported to run the length of the entire Niagra escarpment, at some points being several feet thick. It has been rumored that lightening struck here and broke part of this ledge, as parts of it can be seen laying along the bottom of the gorge. But it is certain that time, heat, cold, ice and water have played their respective parts as well.




In 1792 a grist mill was built by William Davis in the new Barton Township near Albion Falls and used to grind the grains that the local farmers would bring. Not far from the grist mill, a saw mill was also erected to serve a growing community. This community hosted three hotels and a general store as well as a blacksmith shop. The grist mill changed hands a half dozen times over the years, but by the early 1900s the small vibrant village called Albion Mills was all but forgotten. Albion was a poetic version of the name Britian, and Mills referred to the saw mill and grist mill which once had their home here.

Not far from the original location of the mill, one of the mill stones has had a plaque anchored into it, and it rests in the King's Forest Park.







Albion Falls has seen plenty of death in its colorful history. Accidental falls from the rocky cliffs and deaths of a tragic nature at the mills. Terrified soldiers from the battle of Stoney Creek found shelter here. It has also been a haven for the unspeakable. It served as a popular dumping ground for the bodies of unfortunate victims of murder. John Dick being the most famous victim to be found there on March 16, 1946. His dismembered body was dumped over the falls by his wife Evelyn Dick, seen below, on her way to her first trial.






There are many ghostly tales that seem to be attached to this magnificent location. It has been said that in the early 1900s Joseph Rousseau and Jane Reilly, having known each other since their early childhood, had fallen in love. When Joseph asked Jane to marry him she readily accepted, only to have her heart broken shortly after. They had made a pact to live for each other throughout their lives. So it was doubly hard on Jane when it became apparent that Joseph's mother did not want him to get married and forbid him to see Jane again except to break off the engagement.

Jane, devastated and heart broken couldn't bear the pain and on the moonlit night of September 4, 1915, snuck up to a rocky point above the falls and threw herself over the 100 foot drop to her death. Hence the name of "Lovers Leap" has remained as a part of the Albion Falls history. Some say that before she leaped to her death, she sent up a prayer of forgiveness for Joseph and his mother, then took that fateful final step. It has been rumored that on some nights you can still hear Jane softly crying from the gorge of Albion Falls.


Although the other ghostly tales are not nearly so romantic, there are many that still cling to life through the passages of time and get repeated time and time again.

In 1897 a house stood some ways down the road from the falls. An article was written in the Hamilton Spectator giving an account of a gentlman who was driving his horse drawn carriage along this road. The two young ladies with him were terribly frightened when the horses stopped in their tracks, snorting with fear. Alongside the carriage a ghostly figure could be seen. It is not known whether it was fright or an attempt to protect the women with him, but the gentleman lashed out with his buggy whip to ward off this unwelcome guest. Much to his dismay the whip passed right through the figure who continued on as if nothing had happened. Once the ghostly figure was gone, the horses were willing to proceed again and nothing further happened to the occupants of the carriage. The house has since been demolished, but it does make for an interesting tale.

Another ghostly tale that has seen a fair amount of circulation was the haunted house in the woods. Rumors abound that the ghostly figure of a man can sometimes be seen travelling from his home in the woods to the mill. Though the house no longer stands, the rumors and tales continue to be told. It has been reported that a woman sleeping in an upstairs bedroom awoke to find her covers being slowly drawn down. Frightened at this unexpected occurance she quickly grabbed the blankets and pulled them back up around her neck. Once again the blankets were pulled slowly down by an unseen force. She snatched them back up again. The third time the blankets were yanked right off the bed at which point the lady jumped up and fled down the stairs where she collapsed.




Albion Mills (as the village was once called) was reported to be the first place that natural gas was discovered in this part of Ontario. It was discovered when two Irishmen were quarrying rock for the wheel pit. One stopped to take a break and light his pipe. When he lit a match it ignited the fumes of gas and singed his whiskers, hair and clothing. He told his friend that it was surely the devil come to get them and take them away.

It turned out to be a natural occurring sulphur gas. And though it was foul smelling, it was used to light the mill for over 100 years. Not far from the mill a two foot flame could be seen shooting up from the stream. It was so popular with the tourtists that a hotel was built near it to facilitate the tourism trade. Although the hotel is no longer standing, during periods of low water, the sulphur spring can still be seen bubbling up from the creek bed and it can be lit with a match.

The old mill continued to operate until 1907 when the owner Robert Grassie fell to his death in the wheel pit. After his death the mill was never run again. And it was eventually torn down in 1915. Such a sad ending for any tale. But the natural beauty of Albion Falls will continue to draw a fair amount of attention. Though the trails surrounding it are sometimes steep it offers a fantastic view from the top or the bottom. One that we will not soon forget.


After reading the stories that we had discovered at the Hamilton Public Library Special Collections Dept. we were on our way to this place that was once called Albion Mills.....
We arrived at Mount Albion Falls to conduct an investigation to see if we could catch any paranormal activity here.




To see the full size image, click on the picture above.


We parked across the street from the falls as shown in this picture. And thus began our investigation.


Investigation Conditional Report

Start Time... 8:00pm
Night Condition...Wind 2-3 mph, Clear Skies, Flying Insects, Water Spray, 89F
Check List... Dust and Pollen, (None Present)...
Feelings .....Spider web effect on face and arms...
Hype.....6
(Hype scale from 1-10 ...1 being the spookiest)




To see the full size image, click on the picture above.


In this picture you can see the path that leads away from Mud Street. Also notice this would be in the general area where the old mill would have been to the left of the path.




To see the full size image, click on the picture above.


This would have been a birds eye view from the old mill and directly across the other side of the gorge would have been the legendary "LOVERS LEAP".




To see the full size image, click on the picture above.


In this photo you can see that the falls still has two parts to it. The ledge protruding out captures the water before it drops down to continue on into the ravine.




To see the full size image, click on the picture above.


We made it to the bottom of the falls and I took this picture looking up to Mud Street. Just to the left of the falls near the top would have been the old Albion Mill.




To see the full size image, click on the picture above.


I got a little closer to the falls to take this picture. I wanted to see if there was spray from the falls before it got dark. It looks like the water just froze in motion.




To see the full size image, click on the picture above.


We waited around in the gorge for a bit for dusk to fall. In this photo you can see a few orbs where the old mill would have been.







Albion Falls Page 1
Albion Falls Page 2







Back to

























Copyright 1998-2005 by George & Cathy Brady, Hamilton Paranormal